- Flash used to be the best solution, but everyone is moving on from there.
- Modern browsers and powerful computing make it possible to render live data easily.
- Maturity of different technologies in drawing vector: VML, SVG and Canvas.
Of course, you need to carefully choose one that fit your requirements. As we mentioned before, they use various technologies, as a result, some plugins support canvas only which require modern browsers, and other combine multiple technologies altogether so it able to work on different platforms and older browsers.
- Flotr2Flotr2 is a framework independent library for drawing HTML5 charts and graphs. It is a branch of flotr which removes the Prototype dependency and includes many improvements. It supports lines, bars, candles, pies and bubbles charts. Older browsers such as IE6 are support and as well as mobile platform.
- D3A famous and efficient visualization library that surprising used by some of the chart plugin in this post. D3 allows you to bind arbitrary data to a Document Object Model (DOM), and then apply data-driven transformations to the document. As a trivial example, you can use D3 to generate a basic HTML table from an array of numbers. Or, use the same data to create an interactive SVG bar chart with smooth transitions and interaction.
- gRaphaelgRaphaël’s goal is to help you create stunning charts on your website. It is based on Raphaël graphics library. Check out the demos to see static and interactive charts in action. gRaphaël currently supports Firefox 3.0+, Safari 3.0+, Opera 9.5+ and Internet Explorer 6.0+.