So, here are the 10 RTEs that I can find online. From the most basic support of font formatting to advanced features such as image upload, table creation, ajax support and so on. Be sure to drop me a comment if you know other RTE that is not listed below. Enjoy.
MarkitUp - jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
markItUp! is not meant to be a "Full-Features-Out-of-the-Box"-editor. Instead it is a very lightweight, customizable and flexible engine made to meet the developer's needs in their CMSes, blogs, forums or websites. markItUp! is not a WYSIWYG editor, and it never will be.
- Fast and unobtrusive integration
- Support for keyboard shortcuts
- Ajax dynamic preview
- Supported: IE7, Safari 3.1, Firefox 2, Firefox 3. IE6 and Opera 9+ as-is.
- Licence: MIT/GPL
- File: Packed naked engine is about 6.5Kb.
jWYSIWYG - jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
This plugin is an inline content editor to allow editing rich HTML content on the fly. It's an alternative to WYMeditor with much less features. With a small file size less than 17Kb 26Kb total and only 9Kb 18Kb of code and 7Kb packed, the main concept is to keep it simple, not all users need font coloring or create tables, just the basic.
- GNU General Public License v2
- Compact and lightweight
- Ajax dynamic preview
- Browser friendly
Lightweight RTE- jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
I have made this Rich Text Editor as simple as possible to be easily changed according your needs.
- Super lightweight 7kb uncompressed
- Compatible with major browsers
- Degrade gracefully
- GNU General Public License
HTMLBox - jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
Cross-browser interactive open-source HTML / XHTML textarea built on top of the jQuery library. Tested with Mozilla Firefox, Inrernet Explorer, Opera, Netscape and Safari. The integration of HtmlBox into Content Manegement Systems, Forums, Guest Books, Contact Forms is as easy as a childs play.
- Easy Integration.
- Multiple Browser Support.
- Small Size. Size of 15kb (11kb minimized)
- XHTML Output Possible.
- Ajax Integration Supported.
- User Manual. A complete user manual, that will guide you through every step of integrating HtmlBox into your application and customizing it.
D Small Rich Text Editor - jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
This piece of code creates a Rich Text Editor ("RTE") from an IFRAME element. Yes, I know, there are tens of such scripts, and most of them are probably more sophisticated than mine, but my script's purpose is to provide enough basic functionality while having the smallest footprint possible.
- Small (~18k) footprint! (Packed/Minified JS, Plugins & CSS sum to 12k w/o GZIP, HTML can be reduced to ~3k using GZIP, Images (w/o emoticons) are less than 3k)
- All basic Rich Text functionality
- Image Upload via AJAX (using the AjaxFileUpload plugin).
- Resizing of text area.
- Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional markup (Note: this refers to the editor's markup and not to it's generated content which may or may not be valid!).
- HTML Cleanup
WYMEditor - jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
WYMeditor is a web-based WYSIWYM (What You See Is What You Mean) XHTML editor. WYMeditor's main concept is to leave details of the document's visual layout, and to concentrate on its structure and meaning, while trying to give the user as much comfort as possible (at least as WYSIWYG editors).
- XHTML strict + CSS compliant
- No font or text formatting, sizes or colors - WYMeditor is CSS-based
- Designed to be easy to integrate into your application
- Image, link, table support
- Skins support via CSS
- APIs, plugins support
- Free and Open Source
- Major browsers support
TinyMCE - non-jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
- Easy to integrate - Only a few lines of code needed.
- Customizable - Themes and plugins, block invalid elements and force attributes.
- Browserfriendly - Mozilla, MSIE, FireFox, Opera, Safari and Chrome.
- Lightweight - PHP/.NET/JSP/Coldfusion GZip compressor, Makes TinyMCE 75% smaller and a lot faster to load.
- AJAX Compatible - You can easily use AJAX to save and load content!
- International - Multilanguage support using language packs.
- Open Source - Free under the LGPL license, millions of ppl help test and improve this editor every day.
fckeditor - Non-jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
This HTML text editor brings to the web much of the power of desktop editors like MS Word. It's lightweight and doesn't require any kind of installation on the client computer.
- Multi browser compatibility
- Outputs XHTML 1.0
- CSS support for better integration with your web site
- Font formatting: type, size, color, style, bold, italic, etc
- Text formatting: alignment, indentation, bullets list, etc
- Cut, Paste, and Paste as Plain Text, Undo and Redo
- Paste from Word cleanup with auto detection
- Image insertion, with upload and server browsing support
- Right click context menus support
- Plugins support
- Spell checker
- Lightweight and fast
- Automatic browser detection and customization
Yahoo YUI Rich Text Editor - Non-jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
The Rich Text Editor is a UI control that replaces a standard HTML textarea; it allows for the rich formatting of text content, including common structural treatments like lists, formatting treatments like bold and italic text, and drag-and-drop inclusion and sizing of images. The Rich Text Editor's toolbar is extensible via a plugin architecture so that advanced implementations can achieve a high degree of customization.
Xinha - Non-jQueryOfficial Website | Demo
Xinha (pronounced like Xena, the Warrior Princess) is a powerful WYSIWYG HTML editor component that works in all current browsers. Its configurabilty and extensibility make it easy to build just the right editor for multiple purposes, from a restricted mini-editor for one database field to a full-fledged website editor. Its liberal, BSD licence makes it an ideal candidate for integration into any kind of project.
I hope you all love this resource. :)